Tuesday, May 31, 2005

MAPS Air Museum

In late March, we visited MAPS Air Museum in North Canton, Ohio. I have a free moment now, and I don't want to forget about it.
with the guide


This is a wonderful field trip for any school age child! We were all surprised at the wealth of information available here. Our entire experience was quite enjoyable. Our guide said that this is often called one of the best kept secrets of the area. If you have never been there, just go!

MAPS stands for Military Aviation Preservation Society. I was most surprised at the plethora of memorabilia and actual aircraft available to view and often, touch. We were led around by a veteran, who, admittedly at times was a little difficult to understand, was able to share from experience. I wonder if someday, the tours will be led by tour guides instead of these veterans who volunteer their time to share their experiences and keep history alive for our children.


cockpit

I took the stroller with me and had very little difficulty maneuvering it around the artifacts and displays. We saw aircraft from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The Gulf War, and other eras too. Being next to the airport gave us a chance to watch a military helicopter practice taking off and landing as well. Probably, the most exciting part for the kids was being able to climb inside the cockpit of a fighter jet. Walking around and under the airplanes was also pretty neat, though, even for me. Many of the aircraft were still in various phases of reconstruction, and I would like to come back and see them when they are finished. The work, however, is slow and requires funds, so it will take a while.
not big enough yet


I was impressed at how much historical information came out during our tour. At one point, our guide stumped all of us with a question about a famous battle from WWII. I said something about not having learned that yet in our schooling, so he posed it to me. I sheepishly replied that I didn't know either, and of course, he went on to explain. It's true that although we enjoy the benefits our soldiers fought for, we rarely remember their direct accomplishments, that being the battles that many of them died in or lived through.

My 8-year-old came home asking questions about ways to support our soldiers and make them feel more appreciated. I was really pleased that it had this effect on her, and I would definitely go again.

The gift shop was stocked with military books, insignia, shirts, hats, and more. Most of it was reasonably priced. We picked up a few cheap planes to play with at home for .49 each, and one more detailed for 2.49. The museum is non-profit, so they do take donations. Our group price was $4.50 per person, and the non-group price isn't much more. If you have any interest in our military history, go and take someone with you!

No comments: