Thursday, June 09, 2005

Weathervane Playhouse - Little Women

On Sat. April 2, we attended a performance of "Little Women" at Weathervane Playhouse in Akron. I took my 8-year-old and we both decided to get dressed up for the occasion. This was the first real play she has attended. Another friend, her daughter, husband and a few other family members joined us there.

I was comfortable in the cozy auditorium. I don't know if there is a bad seat in the house. We were situated about halfway up and had a feeling of being at eye level with the actors. The performance was very well done, and especially so, considering that all of the performers were high school students, excepting one 8th grader. Actually, hers was the most memorable role. The time passed fleetingly, as it should at an engaging performance, although there were times I was thrust back to memories of my own high school stage productions. I was only disappointed at the end due to the adapted nature of a stage play versus a novel. I've always liked the part where Jo goes to the city, and the play doesn't get that far. My daughter found it thrilling, and especially enjoyed being able to get the performers' autographs in the lobby after the show. It was then that I was wishing I had brought my camera. She still loves to imitate the performance of Amy, in her exaggerated way: "Roo-dreee-go! Roo-dreee-go!" It really was funny. You had to be there.

I had a wonderful time both with booking this show (even though I called with questions at least 3 times and even though I was not the only person booking tickets for our group), and of course, at the performance itself. I will definitely return for another show.
The tickets cost $8.00 each, but could have been $7.00 if we had had a group of 15. Maybe next time. It's not appropriate for anyone under 5 due to the length of time. This is also one to call early due to the possibility of selling out.

No comments: